Significance and Salience
At the next stage, after the data has been processed, our brain places a chemical tag on the data at a different level of "meaningfulness'.
But we also have to tag if it is credible.
Do we think it is true or accurate? Does it refute other beliefs and ideas we have? Does it come from an authority that we trust?
These responses are mostly unconscious and automatic. Even the tagging of the most complex concepts initially occurs on an unconscious level.
We even have an emotional reaction to trivia. Such as celebrity romances or split-ups.
We respond to things that we hear so that our brain can prioritize, but often we can have quirks that make that difficult and we can’t organize our thoughts in a way that is helpful, and those quirks can be lifelong learning differences or they can occur once in a while due to overload or stressors.
There is constant random processing of stimuli because our brain is absorbing and filtering billions of bits of data.
What happens to all this data?
The initial list is all the things that could happen internally to those perceptions being processed in our brain and our storage. We have this vast storage of associations. Everything from the autonomic systems responses such as breathing, blinking, to motor reflexes to “procedural memory” of how to do everything we have learned to do such as tying our shoes, walking, and driving . . . to highly abstract intellectual concepts.
- What is Hate? >
The Roots of Hate
- Early Imprints >
- What Are We Doing To Our Children? >
- Effects of Trauma and Abuse >
- Causes and Effects of Bullying
- Trauma, bigotry, violence linked
- Authoritarian Upbringings >
- Absolutism and Insularity >
- Papers: Early Roots of Prejudice
- Impaired Cognition >
- The Violent Brain >
- Roots of Violence and Cruelty >
- Ghosts of the Past >
How Hate Manifests
- Hate in the News >
- Social Defenses >
- Fanning the Flames >
How We Fool Ourselves
Brain and Belief
- Search for Certainty >
- Index: All Biases, Distortions and Influences
- Overview of Topics
- Enhancing Emotional and Social Skills >
Building Reflective Minds
- Cross-cultural Awareness >
- Media Awareness >
- Teaching an Honest History >
- Civic Engagement and Social Responsibility >
- Ethics Training >
- Whole Child Learning >
- Social Support and Inclusion >
- Helping Children in Dire Conditions >
- Preventing Violence and Bullying >
- Standing Up To Prejudice, Racism, and Bigotry >
- Training Our Protectors >
- Healing the Hurt >
- Educating Our Leaders >
- Resolving Conflict >
- Israel-Palestine >
- Promoting Dignity >
- Healing the Ghosts of the Past >
- Restorative Justice >
- Confronting Mass Atrocities >
- Social Advances >
- More Solutions >